Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Cookie Dough Cake

It's been a very long time since I've been on my blog, too long in fact. The combination of recovering from my operation (all back to normal now), working on my thesis (deadlines looming) and hunting for jobs (money running out) has meant that I haven't really had the time to spend making many interesting things let alone blog about them. Fortunately it was cake club in Reading last week and I wouldn't have missed that for anything, two reasons why, firstly I love going out for an evening to talk about cake, baking and anything else that pops up and secondly, our group organiser picked an amazing theme for this month ... Ben & Jerry's themed cakes! I was so excited when I saw the announcement and knew that I had to do something with cookie dough. It might not be the most adventurous flavour but it's the favourite in our house and I thought I could have some fun with it.


I spent a bit of time thinking about how I could actually make this cake and in the end settled on a vanilla sponge filled with a layer of vanilla buttercream and a layer of cookie dough, all finished off with a generous coating of vanilla buttercream. Sounds absolutely wonderful and trust me it was despite my frankly shoddy efforts at decorating this time. I was in a rush to get the buttercream and cookie dough filling made after being at uni all day and so the finish isn't as good as I would have liked, but cake club isn't competitive, we're always more interested in how the cake tastes than how it looks. To me and everyone else, this cake came a very close second in terms of taste to a tub of Ben & Jerry's. Be warned though this is a very sweet rich cake and I could only manage a small slice but judging by my boyfriend's reaction I'll be making this cake again, he couldn't get enough of it.

The buttercream is wonky and full of crumbs as I rushed
For the cookie dough filling I used an American recipe that I found here. I'm afraid I can't give you any conversions from cups into grams as I ended up having to add extra flour and I don't know how much extra I added, but as a general idea of what to aim for I think it's worth looking at. There is no egg in the cookie dough recipe meaning that it's fine to eat raw. If you have a favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe then that would probably work well for this if you leave the egg out and add a drop if milk so it isn't too dry. The cookie dough filling ended up being similar in consistency to the buttercream, not quite sure if that was right but it tasted good and made a lot more than I needed. The leftovers were used to decorate some chocolate muffins for my office and they went down very well too.





Ingredients

For the cake:
8oz caster sugar
8oz unsalted butter
8oz self raising flour
4 large eggs
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
80ml milk
pinch of salt

For the buttercream:
250g unsalted butter
500g icing sugar
1-2 tsp vanilla extract - depends how strong you want the vanilla flavour to be
splash of milk

For the cookie dough filling - see paragraph above.

  • Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and flour two non stick sandwich tins.
  • Use the all in one method to make the cake batter, i.e. everything in a mixing bowl and whisk until you get a smooth batter. Divide the batter evenly between the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool. 
  • To make the buttercream, beat the butter until smooth and then add a splash of milk and pour in the icing sugar gradually so you don't coat the kitchen in white powder. When all of the sugar has been incorporated add the vanilla extract and beat again until smooth. 
  • Spread some buttercream on the bottom halves of both cake layers then add a generous layer of the cookie dough filling. Cover the cake with the remaining buttercream using a palette knife. 
If you want to see all of the other cakes from the evening, head over to Lisa's blog United Cakedom where she has a round up and a recipe for her cherry garcia cake

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I made cookie dough truffles, I thought I wouldn't like it, but it was gorgeous if a little sweet, so I know what you mean about your filling. Well done on such an original cake and I'm all for the taste rather than the look of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic theme! I love Ben & Jerry's ice creams they are so naughty but delicious! Cookie dough is one of my favourite flavours and love how you turned it into a cake :) I wonder what flavour I would've chosen...

    On a less foodie note I hope you are almost fully recovered from your Op! I'm learning now just how long these things take :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)