Ingredients - cuts into 8 slices
For the sponge:
4 large eggs
100g caster sugar
100g self raising flour
1/2 tsp Speculoos spice mix - if you don't have this then ground cinnamon or mixed spice would be fine
For the filling:
150g fresh cranberries
75g caster sugar
1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat the oven to 220C and line a 33 x 23cm Swiss roll tin with greaseproof paper.
- Put all of the filling ingredients in a small pan and bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and leave to bubble away while you make the sponge batter.
- Beat together the eggs and sugar using an electric whisk for about 5 minutes or until pale and frothy and the beaters leave a trail when lifted from the bowl.
- Sift the flour and Speculoos spice into the egg mixture and carefully fold in until it is all incorporated. Pour the mixture onto the tray making sure it is spread evenly into the corners and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- While the sponge is baking give the cranberries a stir and add a splash of water if they look dry, when nearly all the berries have popped and it looks like a slightly runny cranberry sauce, remove from the heat and leave to cool. Keep the cinnamon stick in whilst it cools to allow the flavours to infuse more.
- When the sponge is baked, carefully invert it onto another piece of greaseproof paper, remove the baking paper and use a sharp knife to trim the edges and make a score mark about 2.5cm in from one of the short edges. While the sponge is still hot, roll it up in the greaseproof paper starting from the score mark and leave it cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully unroll the sponge and spread over the cranberry filling (remove the cinnamon stick) as evenly as you can then re roll the sponge this time without the paper, trim the ends neatly and transfer to a serving plate and dust liberally with icing sugar.
I'm adding this to my fresh cranberry recipe link up and entering it into Calendar Cakes run by Dolly Bakes and Laura Loves Cakes, Made With Love Mondays, The Spice Trail where the chosen spice is cinnamon, Lets Cook Christmas Party Food and into Feel Good Food run by A Kick At The Pantry Door and this month hosted by Jiibber Jabber where the ingredient is cranberries.