Saturday, 14 December 2013

Cranberry & Cinnamon Swiss Roll

Time for more cranberries, I really can't get enough of them! I've baked this cake twice now, once for us and once for the office and everyone has really enjoyed it. The first time I made it, I added some melted white chocolate on top but for the second time I just gave it a good dusting with icing sugar. The second 'plainer' version is the one that I preferred, a light sponge filled with delicious cinnamon spiked cranberries makes a welcome change to all the chocolate and richness this time of year. Of course if you wanted to make this more indulgent and turn it into a Yule log then I think a generous slathering of white chocolate buttercream would work very well.  If you decide to stick with the simpler version, then this cake also makes a good festive dairy free alternative if you're catering for allergies this Christmas. The sponge is very similar to the recipe that I used recently for my zingy lemon Swiss roll and is adapted from Mary Berry's recipe in 100 Sweet Treats & Puds. I added a little bit of my homemade Speculoos spice blend to the sponge just to give it an extra hint of festive spice.


Ingredients - cuts into 8 slices

For the sponge: 
4 large eggs 
100g caster sugar 
100g self raising flour
1/2 tsp Speculoos spice mix - if you don't have this then ground cinnamon or mixed spice would be fine

For the filling:
150g fresh cranberries
75g caster sugar
125ml water
1 cinnamon stick
  • Preheat the oven to 220C and line a 33 x 23cm Swiss roll tin with greaseproof paper.
  • Put all of the filling ingredients in a small pan and bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and leave to bubble away while you make the sponge batter. 
  • Beat together the eggs and sugar using an electric whisk for about 5 minutes or until pale and frothy and the beaters leave a trail when lifted from the bowl. 
  • Sift the flour and Speculoos spice into the egg mixture and carefully fold in until it is all incorporated. Pour the mixture onto the tray making sure it is spread evenly into the corners and bake for 10 minutes or until golden. 
  • While the sponge is baking give the cranberries a stir and add a splash of water if they look dry, when nearly all the berries have popped and it looks like a slightly runny cranberry sauce, remove from the heat and leave to cool. Keep the cinnamon stick in whilst it cools to allow the flavours to infuse more. 
  • When the sponge is baked, carefully invert it onto another piece of greaseproof paper, remove the baking paper and use a sharp knife to trim the edges and make a score mark about 2.5cm in from one of the short edges. While the sponge is still hot, roll it up in the greaseproof paper starting from the score mark and leave it cool for 10 minutes.
  • Carefully unroll the sponge and spread over the cranberry filling (remove the cinnamon stick) as evenly as you can then re roll the sponge this time without the paper, trim the ends neatly and transfer to a serving plate and dust liberally with icing sugar.


I'm adding this to my fresh cranberry recipe link up and entering it into Calendar Cakes run by Dolly Bakes and Laura Loves Cakes, Made With Love Mondays, The Spice Trail where the chosen spice is cinnamon, Lets Cook Christmas Party Food and into Feel Good Food run by A Kick At The Pantry Door and this month hosted by Jiibber Jabber where the ingredient is cranberries.  


 


 




10 comments:

  1. I've always thought Swiss Rolls are a bit of baking magic, what with the rolling up of the sponge and then unrolling, filling and re-rolling. It's a bit terrifying - but yours turned out perfectly! Love the cranberry filling, Jen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it can be a bit scary but once you've got the hang of the technique it means a tasty low fat cake is not far away!

      Delete
  2. This swiss roll looks perfect I have attempted one several times and they always crack when I roll them.I would love to learn your secret on how to get this perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's taken me a few goes to get one made with minimal cracking. I've found that the best thing to do is to roll it up whilst it's as hot as you can bear to handle obviously taking care not to burn yourself.

      Delete
  3. Jen, your Swiss roll is gorgeous! And I've never thought to make one with cranberries; I'm adding this to my must-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds heavenly - and love the idea of adding speculoos to the mix. Another fab entry for December's Spice Trail. Thanks for taking part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely STUNNING!... love the combo of cranberries and white chocolate x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's just about the most perfect Swiss Roll I have ever seen! I love the fact it is a much lighter bake than so many at this time of year. Thanks for linking it up to Feel Good Food this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fantastic! I love anything with cranberries :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!