Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Coconut Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

This is the second time that I've taken part in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. If you haven't heard of it before then the idea is that you are paired up with 3 other bloggers who you send a dozen cookies to. You then receive a dozen cookies from 3 other bloggers (not the same people) so everyone makes and receives 3 dozen cookies. It's great fun and a way to sample other blogger's baking, after all we get to read their recipes and drool over their photos so what could be better than getting to eat some of it?

This year I've been sent salted caramel dark chocolate macaroons from Fiona at Sweet Thing You Make My Heart Sing and brandy soaked cranberry, dark chocolate and pecan cookies from Victoria at Victoria Sponge, Pease Pudding, and crunchy frostbite cookies from Patrice at Pat's Kitchen. I recommend heading over to their blogs to see their cookie recipes as they were absolutely delicious.

Last year I baked chestnut cookies and this year I decided that I wanted to use coconut in my cookies. I added dessicated coconut and cinnamon to the classic oatmeal raisin cookie recipe and I hope my cookie swap recipients enjoyed them as much as I did when I made a trial batch a few weeks ago. I sent cookies to Lucy at Supergolden Bakes, Jennie at Things I Eat and Phebe from Bake n Shake.


A good tip if you decide to make a big batch of these, I baked a quadruple quantity for the cookie swap so we could have some too, use your hands (spotlessly clean of course) to mix the dry ingredients into the wet, it's so much easier than wearing one arm out with a wooden spoon. There's also something quite satisfying about mixing by hand.

Ingredients - makes 12 - easily multiplied

120g unsalted butter
100g soft dark brown sugar
1 egg
90 self raising flour
1tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
50g porridge oats
60g unsweetened dessicated coconut
50g raisins
  • Preheat the oven to 190C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper or a silicone mat. 
  • Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then beat in the egg. In a separate bowl mix the flour, oats, cinnamon, salt, coconut and raisins until evenly distributed then add to the egg mixture and stir to combine to a firm soft dough.
  • Take golf ball sized pieces of the cookie dough and roll into a ball then flatten slightly on your palm before placing on the baking tray. The cookies spread slightly while baking so leave 1-2cm between each one. 
  • Bake for 15 minutes until golden then cool on a wire rack. 
So simple yet so satisfying and I think the coconut and cinnamon add an interesting twist on this classic cookie recipe. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked my cookies and your entry looks thick and chewy - love a cookie like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These remind me of a recipe my mom used to make a couple of years ago!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!