Monday, 28 January 2013

Sweet Potato, Celeriac & Sultana Muffins

This is probably going to be my only attempt at posting a healthy cake recipe this month. I had the idea for these muffins when I dozing off in bed the other night. Does anybody else think of recipe ideas just before falling asleep or is it just me? I like the combination of sweet potato and celeriac in savoury dishes, I quite often mash them together or roast them to serve instead of potatoes. So this got me to wondering whether or not they would work together in a sweet recipe. Obviously I had to try them out and am pleased to say that the combination works. It might not be to everyones taste but I like them. As there is quite a lot of vegetables in these muffins they are denser than normal and have a squidgier texture and they did sink back a bit as they cooled. I had a couple of these for breakfast this morning, I always have a big breakfast and can report that they just about kept me going until lunch time. They would also make a good afternoon snack and must surely count as at least one portion of your five a day. I got the inspiration for these from Harry Eastwood's Red Velvet & Chocolate Heartache book, once which I have mentioned several times in the past. I've never actually made any of her muffin recipes but used them as a rough guide when working out the proportions of ingredients to use. The good news is there is no butter or oil in these muffins, instead the liquid component comes from the grated vegetables, eggs and low fat yoghurt.



Ingredients - makes 10

200g sweet potato, peeled weight
100g celeriac, peeled weight
2 large eggs
100g low fat yoghurt
300g self raising flour
100g sultanas
100g honey
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon

  • Preheat the oven to 180C and line a muffin tray with paper cases. Use the finest side of a box grater to grate the sweet potato and celeriac into a large bowl. This will take a good 5 minutes so put on some good music but take care not to grate your fingers, I always end up with at least one graze when doing this. It's also a good upper body workout.
  • In a separate bowl beat together the eggs, yoghurt and honey until frothy using and then beat in the sweet potato and celeriac. 
  • Stir in the sultanas and then fold in the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon until just combined with a few flecks of flour visible. Bake for 35 minutes until the tops of the muffins are golden and they are just firm to the touch. Cool on a wire rack before serving.
I'm entering these into Calendar Cakes run by Rachel and Laura where the theme is healthier cakes, Made With Love Mondays, Simple and in Season and also into Credit Crunch Munch run by Camilla and Helen as the vegetables were cheap and the rest was storecupboard ingredients. I'll also add these into Breakfast Club where the theme is cooked/baked and is hosted by Janice this month.








7 comments:

  1. These sound intrigueing Jen and definitely very healthy, I never cook with celeriac so maybe I should as you recommend it so highly. Thanks for entering Credit Crunch Munch:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had sweet potatoes and celeriac together, but I'm so curious about these muffins as I never would have thought to add both to muffins... I love the spice mix and would definitely join you in snacking on these for breakfast! Thanks so much for sharing, Jen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of an experimental idea but I love it when I have these ideas and they work :)

      Delete
  3. Kook delicious I love sweet potato!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the butternut squash and Banana Cake recipe from Harry's book and it was delicious. Like you, I've not made any others but I do find it a wealth of interesting ideas. Must go get it out and try something else

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only made a few of her recipes even though I've had the book for ages, sometimes grating all those vegetables seems like too much effort but I do like looking through it for inspiration when I want to be a bit healthier.

      Delete
  5. thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)