Thursday, 25 October 2012

Nutty Pumpkin Blondies

I'm doing a bit of late night baking tonight. I had a bit of a frustrating day at uni battling against some software as well as having some formatting issues with some of my graphs. So on the bus on the way home I decided I was going to bake. I had to pop into the supermarket anyway to get some pasta for tea and I picked up a few extra baking supplies as well. I wanted to do something with the leftover pumpkin from my Hallowe'en cake and I had a vague recollection of a white chocolate blondie recipe that used butternut squash in Harry Eastwood's Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache book. I made a few adjustments to the recipe and baked these pumpkin blondies which are flavoured with cinnamon and have a generous sprinkling of chopped nuts in them. This recipe used about half of my leftover pumpkin and the rest has been baked into scones which I will share with you in a few days. For now lets get on with the blondie recipe.



Ingredients - makes 10 slices

250g pumpkin flesh, finely grated
3 eggs
120g caster sugar
150g self raising flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
100g white chocolate, chopped into chunks
100g chopped mixed nuts

  • Preheat the oven to 200C and lightly grease a 20 x 25cm silicone brownie tin (grease & line a metal tin). Grate the pumpkin using the finest side of a box grater into a bowl, take care with your fingers and knuckles as those graters are sharp, I'm wearing a plaster right now!
  • Beat the eggs and sugar using an electric mixer for 5 minutes until they have quadrupled in volume. Beat in the grated pumpkin and then add the flour, cinnamon and salt and beat until well mixed. Stir through the mixed nuts.
  • Pour half the mixture into your prepared tin and then scatter over the chunks of chocolate followed by the rest of the mixture. 
  • Bake for 25 minutes until the blondies are just cooked and then leave to cool in the tin for about 20 minutes before cutting into slices.


I'm entering these into We Should Cocoa run by Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog and Chele from  Chocolate Teapot as the theme this month is pumpkin, the challenge is hosted this month by Hungry Hinny. Also into Alphabakes hosted by Ros (this month's host) from the More Than Occaisonal Baker and Caroline from Caroline Makes as the letter is 'N' and I've used nuts. I'm also entering into Ren's Simple and in Season, this month hosted by Franglais Kitchen and into the One Ingredient challenge run by Nazima at Franglais Kitchen and Laura at How to Cook Good Food, finally this bake is going to Javelin Warrior's Made With Love Mondays. Wow 5 challenges, not bad for a spur of the moment baking decision!







9 comments:

  1. What an interesting recipe for blondies, Jen - I love that you used pumpkin which I'm sure keeps them very moist. They look dense, but also like a chewy dense... Sorry to hear about your frustrating day at work and I'm so glad it resulted in productive baking! Thanks so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done for baking these after a hard day and for getting them into so many challenges too. I made a version of these blondies a couple of years ago for WSC and they were much lighter than I was expecting them to be. Thank you for pulling these out of the hat at the last minute for WSC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the baking made you feel relieved from your days stresses, I think it can be very therapeutic! Love this recipe and pumpkin in a blondie would go down very well for me.
    Thanks for entering these into One Ingredient xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Harry Eastwood's book. A must have baking book for those trying not to eat much calrofice bakes. Blondies are a perfect way to end a stressful day. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't baking a therapy sometimes Jen? These look absolutely delicious and the pumpkin is a great addition! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got some white chocolate in the fridge and after next week there'll be more pumpkin to use up so this will make a good change from savoury pumpkin dishes and I have squash in the pantry so could use either. I hope your night time baking proved therapeutic there is something in the rhythm of stirring and chopping that can be quite calming at times.

    I must remember to check back for the pumpkin scone recipe too.

    Happy weekend.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love recipes that qualify for multiple blog challenges - great job for a last minute job! I love to bake when I'm stressed... perhaps that's saying something about my life as I bake a lot!! Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these look lovely! I love Blondies...especially nutty ones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful way to destress , by baking these lovely blondies. Great idea. I have not made blondies before. One to try out whilst pumpkins still abound!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!