Monday, 10 September 2012

Honey & Pumpkin Twists

This a sweet bread recipe with a twist, literally. I made these bread rolls in the normal way and then because I was feeling fancy I the tied the dough into a knot. This is actually surprisingly fiddly to do as the dough has the awkward tendency to stick to itself but nevertheless I managed to get some reasonably decent looking twists after a bit of perseverance. The bread recipe itself is fairly simple and I've sweetened the dough with honey rather than using sugar as I think it gives a nicer flavour. I also glazed these twists after baking which is not something I normally do but it added a nice finish to them.



Ingredients - makes 10-12 twists depending on size

350g strong wholemeal bread flour
150g strong white bread flour
100g pumpkin seeds
1 tsp salt
7g sachet fast action yeast or 1 tbsp dried active yeast
75g runny honey
300ml lukewarm water

milk and sugar to glaze
  1. If using dried active yeast then reactivate according to pack instructions, otherwise skip this step
  2. Mix the flours, pumpkin seeds and salt together in a large bowl then add the yeast, water and honey and bring everything together into a dough. Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic and then place into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
  3. Knock back the dough and divide into 10 or 12 equal pieces depending on how big you want the twist to be. I like to weigh my dough pieces to ensure they are all the same size. Roll each piece of dough out into a long sausage shape around 25cm long and then tie each piece into a loose knot. Arrange on non stick baking trays leaving a few cm around each one so they don't stick together when baking. Cover with lightly oiled cling film and leave to rise until doubled in size, around 30-40 minutes. 
  4. Preheat the oven to 220C and then bake the rolls for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and well risen. Whilst the twists are in the oven heat up a couple of tablespoonfuls of milk and teaspoonful of sugar until the sugar is dissolved. When the twists come out of the oven brush them with the glaze and leave to cool on a wire rack.
I'm entering these twsits into Yeast Spotting and Bake Your Own Bread hosted by Heather from GirliChef, Michelle from Delectable Musings & Connie from My Discovery of Bread.
I'm also entering these into Alphabakes as the chosen letter this month is 'P' for pumpkin seeds, the challenge is run by Caroline at Caroline Makes and Ros from the More Than Occaisonal Baker.




4 comments:

  1. I love the twisty shapes...and I love that it's time to start using PUMPKIN! These sound fabulous...wish I had one now with my morning coffee =). Thanks so much for adding them to the BYOB bread basket this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its beautiful... i love the twisty shapes too... i also made some pumpkin puree last weekend and didn't think of bread so thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe - now the autumn is kicking in, pumpkin is perfect! This would go really nicely with a bowl of warming soup too.. thanks for entering Alphabakes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)