Tuesday, 14 August 2012

Goats Cheese, Walnut, Red Pepper and Thyme Rolls

This is my second recipe for the Capricorn Challenge. I wrote about the lovely hamper of goodies from Somerset that Ethel the goat sent me here a couple of weeks ago. As most of you are probably aware by now, I love baking bread and with this wonderful selection of ingredients I was inspired to have a go at making some bread with goats cheese. These rolls are made in the normal way and then a piece of goats cheese is hidden in the middle, the result is an instant goats cheese sandwich!

Ingredients - makes 10 rolls

200g strong white bread flour
300g strong wholemeal bread flour
1.5 tsp salt
7g sachet yeast or 1tbsp dried active yeast
1 red pepper diced
1 heaped tbsp fresh thyme leaves
50g chopped walnuts
2 tbsp olive oil
300ml lukewarm water
100g Capricorn goats cheese cut into 10 x 10g pieces

  •  Reactivate the yeast according to pack instructions if using dried active yeast otherwise skip this step.
  • In a large bowl mix together the flours, salt, thyme, red pepper and walnuts and then add the yeast, water and olive oil. Mix everything together into a dough and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Take care not to let the peppers and nuts 'jump' out of the dough. Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and leave to rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.
  •  Knock back the dough and knead for a minute and then divide into 10 equal pieces, I like to weigh mine so they are all the same. Flatten out each piece of dough and place a piece of goats cheese in the middle, wrap the dough around the goats cheese and shape the dough into a ball. Place the rolls onto a non stick baking tray and cover with lightly oiled cling film and leave to rise for about 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
  • Preheat the oven to 200C and then bake the rolls for 25-30 minutes, cool on a wire rack and then enjoy warm whilst the cheese is still melted and gooey.

Disclaimer: I was sent a hamper including Capricorn Goats Cheese to provide inspiration to develop new recipes, all opinions expressed are my own.

I've also entered this recipe into Bake Your Own Bread hosted by Heather from GirliChef, Michelle from Delectable Musings & Connie from My Discovery of Bread and also into yeast spotting. As I've used fresh thyme these rolls are also going into Herbs On Saturday hosted by Karen from Lavender & Lovage.




7 comments:

  1. These sound really lovely...I'm in the mood for something savoury and these are making me hungry! I love the combination of ingredients, goat's cheese, walnut and red pepper sounds great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, lovely. Can not wait for the Mr to get his braces off so I can use nuts in recipes again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's like a little meal in a bun - LOVELY! I'm pretty much a sucker for anything with goat cheese...I just love it. This is a fabulous combo...and I think I'm going to have to try it. I may substitute sundried tomatoes for the red pepper just because I've been loving them in everything lately (especially when paired w/ goat cheese). Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Portable and full of flavor, perfect. Thank you for sharing this with BYOB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FABULOUS Goaty and Herby as well as BREADY recipe Jen! I LOVE it! But then I love bread, herbs and goat's cheese! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely combination of flavours. I am sure it is delicious, and would love to have some! Mich@www.pieceofcake.sg

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)